If you are a pet owner, one thing that you might be worried about is dealing with fleas this summer. This is a common concern among those who own dogs, cats and other pets, but luckily, there are a few tips that you can follow that can help.
1. Keep Your Lawn Maintained
First of all, you should know that fleas like nice, tall grass and weeds. If you keep your lawn neat and trimmed, you can help prevent fleas from being a problem in the first place. Plus, you’ll make it easier to treat your lawn to prevent and get rid of fleas.
2. Keep Your Pets Groomed
Giving your pets frequent baths with flea shampoo and combing their hair with a fine-toothed comb can help get rid of fleas and flea eggs. Along with helping prevent fleas, this can also help prevent shedding and can keep your pet looking and feeling great. You can also talk to your veterinarian about flea control products that might work well for your dog or cat, such as a flea medication that can be applied to your dog’s skin.
3. Work with a Pest Control Company
It’s always a good idea to work with a pest control company if you are concerned about a flea infestation. Your pest control company can come out and treat your home and your yard to get rid of any existing fleas and prevent new fleas from making themselves at home there.
As you can see, there are a few different ways that you can prevent fleas this summer. If you are looking for a pest control company that you can count on to help you with flea control and other types of pest control, contact us at AJB Pest & Termite today.
Fleas are one of the most common household pests in the United States. Although small in size, they can cause serious heartache for family members and their pets.
Female Produce up to 5,000 Eggs
Ever wonder why it’s so hard to control fleas in your home? Well, one of the reasons is because females lay up to 5,000 eggs in their lifetime. Assuming there are just 100 female fleas in your home, that’s half a million eggs!
Only 5% are Adults
Reports indicate that just 5% of a typical flea infestation are adult fleas. The remaining 95% are eggs, larvae, and pupae. That means for every five “normal” fleas you see, there are 95 others scattered throughout your home in different stages of their life cycle.
Vector for Infectious Disease
Fleas are more than just a nuisance; they can carry dangerous infectious diseases, including the bubonic and septicemic plague.
Fleas can Drink 15x Their Body Weight in Blood
To say fleas drink a lot of blood would be an understatement. Fleas can drink up to 15x their body weight in blood per day.
Some People and Pets are Allergic to Fleas
Even if you don’t succumb to infectious illness from a flea bit, you may still experience an allergic reaction. Affecting both humans and pets alike, Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD) is a condition that’s characterized by skin redness, itching, and inflammation in response to a flea bite.
Fleas can Jump 100x Their Length
Relative to body size, fleas are one of the most capable jumpers in the animal kingdom. Using their hind legs, they can jump to heights of 7 inches, which is about 100x their body length.
If you’re dealing with a flea infestation, contact us today. ABJ Pest & Termite is Texas’ premier residential and commercial pest control service provider.
Fleas are tiny, pesky insects that can drive humans and their pets crazy. Without proper prevention, infestations happen quickly and can run rampant.
Fleas feed on blood. While they prefer dogs and cats as their hosts, fleas also bite and feed on humans.
Fleas thrive in warm, humid areas. In many areas, Texas included, flea season can last year round. This makes continuous prevention essential. Fleas spread by jumping hosts. Animals leave them behind on blankets, carpet, furniture and clothing.
The life of a flea begins as an egg, then turns to larva, then pupa, and finally adult. The full transformation takes about a month. However, the pupa can remain dormant in this stage for a full year. Fleas usually live two or three months. Female fleas will lay up to 40-50 eggs per day.
Biting fleas cause itching and widespread skin irritation. Beyond that, they can cause allergies, diseases such as Lyme disease, and serious skin infections. Animals that are infected can also harm their skin with excessive scratching and nipping. Unlike with animals, fleas don’t live on human beings. However, they can jump on for a quick meal. This leaves red, itchy bumps and causes skin irritation.
Fleas are more than just small nuisances. Left alone, these critters can infest pets, homes, and families. In order to keep this from happening, talk to your veterinarian about prevention measures for your pet(s). It’s also a good idea to treat your home.
For more information about flea elimination and prevention, please contact us.